Volkswagen ID.R puts on an awesome new livery before attempting Tianmen ascension
Volkswagen has adorned its newest pet racecar, the all-electric ID.R Concept, with a new paint scheme for the race to the top of the Mount Tianmen in Hunan Province, China.
The record-breaking drive is planned for September. The EV will attempt to ascend an 11.3-kilometer (7-mile) long track known as The 99 Turns, experience altitude shifts reaching 1,100 meters (3,610 ft.) and beat the previous record time of 9m 51s set by the Range Rover Sport SVR.
The new livery is predominantly red, which the Chinese cultural tradition strongly associates with luck and good fortune.
The Volkswagen ID.R already has an impressive portfolio of records. Last summer, it blazed to the top of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb track in no time at all (watch the attached video). In June 2019, it became the Nürburgring’s best EV, and just a month after that it updated the Goodwood Hill Climb record for the first time in 20 years.
Editor Andrew Raspopov
- 70-year-old Hudson restomod crashes Monterey party with V8, 638 HP
- Mansory says goodbye to gas-powered Smart ForTwo with extra refinement and power
- Daniel Orlando slams his VW Tiguan into the tarmac
- Wheelsandmore pushes the newest G-Wagon to supercar levels of performance
- Video: Matt Farah drives engine-swapped, 550-HP E30 BMW M3