Mercedes-AMG unveils two performance SUVs at the LA Show
The AMG subdivision of Mercedes has debuted its ‘hot’ GLE 63 S and GLS 63 SUVs during the second media day of the LA Auto Show opening for the rest of us tomorrow.
Both cars share the same engine model, specifically a 4.0-liter V8 TT rated at 612 PS (605 hp, 450 kW) and 850 Nm (627 lb-ft) of torque. This is the first time the company fits these SUVs with a 48V EQ Boost starter that contributes its own 21 hp (16 kW) and 250 Nm (184 lb-ft) of torque for faster initial throttle response. You can also now deactivate some of the cylinders to save fuel. The transmission used is TCT 9G (nine-speed auto).
The AMG GLE 63 S gets to 100 km/h (62 mph) in a breezy 3.8 seconds, whereas the heavier and bulkier AMG GLS 63 needs 4.2 s. The top speed is hard-capped at 250 km/h (155 mph), but you may opt for the AMG Driver’s Package to raise it to 280 km/h (174 mph).
Compared to their more mundane counterparts, the beefed-up SUVs boast sophisticated wide body kits, the AMG front grille, muscular hood design, different tailpipes, and larger-sized wheels (21” by default, 22” available). Inside the cabin, AMG badges adorn the seats, the floor mats and the running boards.
Editor Andrew Raspopov
- Lamborghini teases something “ahead of its time”, reveal due on July 8
- Nissan teases the Magnite SUV, sets reveal date on July 16
- Listen to Dodge muscle cars perform the U.S. national hymn with their engines
- Fate of the GIMS 2021 goes undecided again after failed crediting attempt
- Nissan to unveil new Ariya e-SUV on July 1, 2020