Confirmed: VW’s largest SUV so far hits the market in 2020
Volkswagen Group is readying a new full-size SUV ready to rumble in 2020. The car remains unannounced, but these early images submitted to the Patent Office of China indicate that it is larger than the Atlas/Teramont.
In terms of exterior styling, the car looks precisely like the SMV Concept the company unveiled at the 2019 Auto Shanghai fair (see images). It features three rows of seats for up to seven occupants and has a stylized gear joystick, a two-tier center console, and neatly designed air deflectors.
According to the patent claim, the new SUV comes based on the MQB platform and ships with two engines: a TFSI 2.0 rated at 186 hp (139 kW) and a V6 2.5 good for 299 hp (223 kW). Both use seven-speed DSG transmission.
Volkswagen will launch its largest SUV so far sometime later this year, but the specific timeframe remains unknown.
Editor Andrew Raspopov
- Bentley unveils the six Mulliner Bacalar trim options
- Mazda celebrates 100th birthday with a special edition of its entire range
- Volkswagen Tiguan & Arteon to get PHEV variants in Europe soon
- It’s Official: Audi will build its EVs on four different platforms
- 4th-gen Nissan X-Trail leaks via patent pics