Video: Saab does a tank turn thanks to ProteanDrive
Protean Electric has filmed an impressive ad for its newest motorized wheel design called ProteanDrive. In it, a test car codenamed NEVS 9-3 EV (a Saab at heart) does a neat, clean near-standing turn.
The developer of the tech ships these motorized wheels in two rim sizes: 16 and 18 inches. The larger wheel weighs in at 36 kilos (just under 80 lbs) and packs 108 hp (80 kW) along with 1,250 Nm (922 lb-ft) of instant torque. The smaller model weighs 8 kg (17 lbs) less and packs 54 hp (40 kW) along with 450 Nm (332 lb-ft).
To perform the standing turn, you only need to make the left wheel pair rotate in reverse and the right pair rotate as usual. This means the car can be easily set up to perform this turn with a single press of a button.
Editor Andrew Raspopov
- Tesla pledges to return the old FM radio, but you’ll pay up for $3,000 for it
- Aston Martin adopts Mercedes-Benz EV tech
- Porsche improves Cayenne Hybrid driving range in Europe
- JLR to use aerospace sensors to test new materials for durability
- Mercedes-AMG announces the power rating of its One superhybrid