Watch the C8 Hennessey Corvette break through its factory top speed
By using nitrous oxide, famous Texas-based tuner Hennessey Performance has succeeded in taking a Chevrolet Corvette C8 to the 205 mph (330 km/h) mark.
The company stresses that no changes were made to the turbocharger system of the car itself. Rather, the team decided to work with the exhaust system and install an NOS. One may think that the C8, which is capable of 194 mph (312 km/h), wouldn’t need all that much persuasion to reach the abovementioned speed. In reality, however, extreme air resistance at such speeds necessitates exponential increases in engine power to compensate.
Hennessey said obtaining meaningful results would require going from the stock 502 hp (375 kW) to more than 600 hp (447 kW), but ended up with 650 hp (485 kW) just to be on the safe side.
The first run proved a success, with the C8 ‘Vette showing the desired 205 mph on the odometer.
Editor Andrew Raspopov
- 727 hp and exclusive trim: Manhart updates its BMW X5 M tune for 2020
- Mazda MX-5 looks weird, but kinda cute in this Bugeye guise
- Chip-tuned Alpine A110 rivals A110S in sheer engine power
- Ukraine-designed all-terrain bus wins two prestigious international awards
- Toyota to unveil the new Fortuner & Hilux Revo on June 4