Alejandro de Tomaso’s last racecar goes under the hammer
Sotheby’s will be holding an auction for a unique two-seat Maserati Barchetta racecar issued in a limited series of 17 copies especially for the company’s single-make racing series. The car is the last creation of Alejandro de Tomaso, the now late president of Maserati.
The auction vehicle was built in late 20th century. It is based on tubular framework made of carbon, magnesium alloy, and other light alloys. The body utilizes glass fiber, composite materials and aluminum. The Maserati Barchetta weighs in at only 775 kg (1,710 lb).
The hood of the racecar conceals a 2.0L V6 turbo engine with 320 hp (240 kW), which enables it to accelerate 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in mere 4.4 seconds.
The starting price of the lot has not been made available to the wide public.
- Lamborghini Aventador SVJ once again owns the circuit
- The Dream Lives Again: 135,000-HP ultimate car project secures new funding
- 14-year-old teenager demonstrates how one drifts the Ford GT
- Toyota and Suzuki elaborate on their partnership
- Legendary 20th-century supercars line up for a drag race showdown