Alejandro de Tomaso’s last racecar goes under the hammer
Sotheby’s will be holding an auction for a unique two-seat Maserati Barchetta racecar issued in a limited series of 17 copies especially for the company’s single-make racing series. The car is the last creation of Alejandro de Tomaso, the now late president of Maserati.
The auction vehicle was built in late 20th century. It is based on tubular framework made of carbon, magnesium alloy, and other light alloys. The body utilizes glass fiber, composite materials and aluminum. The Maserati Barchetta weighs in at only 775 kg (1,710 lb).
The hood of the racecar conceals a 2.0L V6 turbo engine with 320 hp (240 kW), which enables it to accelerate 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in mere 4.4 seconds.
The starting price of the lot has not been made available to the wide public.
- An Unexpected Turn: Bloodhound SSC project gets last-minute funding
- Mercedes-Benz to premiere the next-gen CLA at the 2019 CES Las-Vegas in January
- Power-packed Audi SQ2 goes on sale in Europe
- Hyundai to invest $7 billion into hydrogen engine production
- All-electric, luxury VW SUV to debut at the Shanghai show