Volkswagen Group Components turns the old Beetle into an EV
VW will be coming to the IAA Frankfurt show this year with an electric conversion of the vintage Beetle. Volkswagen Group Components is responsible for the project.
The show car is driven by the same powertrain as the new e-up: a single-stage gear unit, a minor electric engine and a 36.8 kWh traction battery. The nominal performance amounts to 82 hp (61 kW).
The electric Beetle needs less than four seconds to sprint from zero to 50 km/h (31 mph) and hits 80 km/h (50 mph) in another four. The driving range is estimated at 200 kilometers (124 miles).
Volkswagen Group Components says this may very well be the first in a long line of classical VW vehicles it will be converting to EVs.
Editor Andrew Raspopov
- Mercedes-Benz GLC gets better ECU, new wheels from VÄTH
- What do you think of this Acid Green Audi RS4 Avant?
- U.S. coachbuilder considers Cadillac Escalade-V, Chevrolet Tahoe SS coupe conversions
- Ramsmobile unveils the Protos RM-X2, an SUV on tracks
- KIA Ceed GT gains sports points with new H&R springs