Kia to unveil a mystery flagship EV in 2021
Kia only has two full-fledged electric cars on offer right now – the SUVs Niro and Soul. Today, the company said it would be launching a brand-new, high-end EV next year, complete with good acceleration, great range and novel body design.
The upcoming flagship should serve as a demonstration of the high technological sophistication of the Kia brand, the press statement claims. As such, it will utilize a brand-new architecture possibly co-designed with Rimac. The design may lean towards that of the Imagine by Kia Concept depicted here, although this is not official at this time.
The mystery car will come with a 800-volt traction battery (like the Porsche Taycan) sufficient for 500 kilometers (310 miles) of uninterrupted driving. Quick charging will enable you to replenish its charge from 20% to 80% in mere 20 minutes.
Kia points out that the EVs of today are either miniature and affordable vehicles or expensive premium cars, with no middle ground to speak of.
If all goes according to plan, sales might begin later in 2021.
Editor Andrew Raspopov
- Belgian bike designer comes up with an amazing art-décor hot rod racer
- The new McLaren Elva makes one nostalgic about the 1960s
- SCG teases a brand-new, ‘affordable’ kit car
- Mazda unleashes Wankel-powered RX-Vision GT3 onto the streets – but not for everyone
- Aston Martin lets the Valkyrie out into the open